Masking in Flash
Masking is revealing portion of your picture or graphic in the layer below.
While surfing through net you might have come across lots of beautiful Flash effects such as ripple effect , some wording with sky background or glitter bordering an object, and wondered "How? What is the logic behind this". The answer for all this is masking.
This tutorial will teach you the basics of masking in Flash
MX 2004. The download .fla file is also included at the end of the
1. You need to have Flash
Player 7.0 installed to view the Flash animation.
2. Flash MX 2004 must be installed in your system to download and view the
I shall start this tutorial assuming that the reader has basic knowledge of flash such as Shape Tween
and working with layers
Okay! if you are ready, just follow the steps given below.
STEPS TO FOLLOW
Inserting Layers and Naming them
- By default you will have a layer in your timeline window. Insert one more layer, totally you need two layers to mask an object.
- Rename the top layer to "Mask" and the layer below that to "background".
Creating Shape Tween
- Import your picture to the "background" layer.
- Using Oval tool from your tool box, draw a circle in your "Mask" layer and delete it's border.
- Drag the circle to one end of your picture.
- Now go to"frame 40" of your "Mask" layer and press "F6" to insert a new keyframe.
- Now go to "frame 40" of your "background" layer and press "F5" to insert frames, so that your background image is available all through your mask.
- Select "frame 40" of your "Mask" layer, that is your new keyframe, Keeping the playhead on "frame 40" of "Mask" layer, drag the circle to other end of your picture.
- Now go back to "frame 1" of your "Mask" layer, keeping the playhead on "frame 1" of your "Mask" layer, select Shape tween in your properties window.
- Right click on the "Mask" layer (the area where you named the layer not where the frames exist) and select Mask.
Your Mask is all ready. Press Ctrl+Enter
to view your Mask.
Below is an example to give you more ideas on Masking.
Download the .fla file
No portion of these materials may be reproduced in any manner whatsoever, without the express written consent of Entheos. Any unauthorized use, sharing, reproduction or distribution of these materials by any means, electronic, mechanical, or otherwise is strictly prohibited.