Create a website header using Photoshop
Part 1 on How to Make a Web site with Photoshop and Dreamweaver
This tutorial is part of a 4 page tutorial on how to create a simple web site using Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
Tutorial 1 : Creating a unique website header
Tutorial 2 : Designing your website layout in Photoshop
Tutorial 3 : Slicing your layout in Photoshop
Tutorial 4 : Creating your web site in Dreamweaver
This header design is used in the layout in the tutorial How to make a website layout in Photoshop. Click here to view the finished Photoshop layout.
We are going to make a header like the banner below:
Steps to Follow :
- Click here to open and save the candle image. Right click on the image to save the picture. Save the picture in a website folder.
- Open Photoshop and click on File/Open and select the header image from your website folder.
- Name the layer header in the layers panel. Right click on the layer and select Duplicate Layer. Name the second layer candle.
- Click on layer header and press shift+ctrl+u to desaturate the picture. You won't be able to see the desaturation as the layer is behind the candle layer. You can close the eye of the candle layer in the layers panel if you would like to view the effect of the desaturation.
- Now work on the candle layer. Select Elliptical marquee tool. Drag it to the candle. Select feather radius as 15.
- Now click on Select>Inverse from the top menu and then delete.
- Now press ctrl+D to deselect the candle. Make a new layer called candleborder on top of the candle layer. Use the line tool to create a vertical line on the left and on the right of the lit candle.
The above is the final effect you will create.
If you would like to use this header in the next tutorial on creating a website layout, You have to merge the layers to create a single graphic. You need to do the following steps :
- Click on the link icon next to the eye icon in the layers panel for all the layers.
- Go to Layers>Merge Linked.
Your header is ready to insert in the layout. Click here to learn how to create a website layout using this header in Photoshop.
Please Like, Tweet, Share or Comment on this page if you found this tutorial/resource useful!
Join us on Facebook to keep updated with all the latest tutorials and web design freebies from EntheosWeb!
No portion of these materials may be reproduced in any manner whatsoever, without the express written consent of Entheos. Any unauthorized use, sharing, reproduction or distribution of these materials by any means, electronic, mechanical, or otherwise is strictly prohibited.